Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Feb 26 - Orn*

Saturday, February 26, 1972 - Page 57
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

8:00 PM
I got up at about 8:00 A.M. It was pretty foggy in the morning, as usual. Chunk and Winnie [actually Chuck and Wendy] came over at 8:30 or 9:00 to get food for their trip to Kern, or wherever they're going this weekend. I started reading my S.F. magazine collection to find out my possible markets, but I only got as far as the first editorial in Amazing -- it was about [Piers] Anthony's "Orn," so I was side-tracked into reading the book. I had bought it in Bishop, Cal., when Mike Sarason & I had driven there in late December of last year. As of now I'm on page 71... about 1/4 through.

Dad left for work today when an Aeroneurotic [actually Aeronutronic, where Lu Lyda worked on classified DoD projects] guy called up and told him to come over. He's sort of indispensable. Mom went out to get her hair done. I did the dishes -- or rather I put them in the sink with hot water, and washed them around 4:30 P.M. I read "Orn" for awhile, and Herman came over to remind dad about the rent. It's a month overdue. Herman's a nice guy for a manager. [Bay Shore Park Manager Herman Conaway reappears later in this journal with comments in the local newspaper. See Nov 30 - Trailer park crisis explodes]

I took the kayak out to the raft at 1:36 and tanned (or rather, burned) my hide till 3:00. Came back & Mom was home. Ate dinner & played Scrabble. Went to bed early. The lizard is still outside the window, and the cat is ignoring it. It'll be there for some time, so I've named her "Liz" (for "lizard," of course). She should start decomposing soon. It's foggy now.

No comments: