Saturday, February 16, 2013

Feb 16 - Olympic kayak training

Wednesday, February 16, 1972 - Page 47
LOCATION: Newport Beach & Lido Isle, California

8:00 PM
I got about three hours sleep before waking up around 2:00 A.M. I made another hurdle in my story, and now I'm getting into old musca domestica -- an important stage of the story, and one that can fall flat if I don't handle it carefully. I'll let it marinate awhile -- I reviewed the notes concerning it, and threw in a couple more ideas. At the rate I'm going I'll have this story finished before next week. Maybe. The ending has just about written itself, all I've got to do is patch up the notes and glue 'em together. How so ever, it's a lousy story, and I doubt it'll get sold -- even if it does I pro'ly won't get more than a hundred dollars for it -- it's hardly worth the trouble. Blah.

I typed the second page between seven and eight thirty, having the presence of mind to wait till mom & dad woke up before clicking away. Eventually I got to sleep at eleven -- woke up at three and brushed my fangs a couple of times. By then mom was home and I started the dishes, but Chunk dropped by and he and me went paddling around Lido Isle (he's starting training for the Olympics finally) -- we left at around 5:00 and returned at 6:30.

It was weird -- it has been foggy all day, and on the bay in fog and darkness would be therapeutic if it weren't so tiring -- the kayak leaks and I was pulling along about a gallon of water along with myself and the boat. I took a bath, ate dinner, saw Part I of "North by Northwest" on the one-eyed monster, played back the 1943 recording of "Red Dust" (Clark Gable, Ann Southern, etc.) that I made awhile ago for mom [This was a rebroadcast of an old-radio adaptation of the movie], and now I'm going to read Benson Barrett ["How to Write for Money"] & Harlan Ellison [science fiction writer]. Enthuse me, you two!

No comments: