Thursday, May 2, 2013

May 02 - A family gathering**

Tuesday, May 2, 1972 - Page 123
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

11:06:46 PM
I finished "Slaughterhouse 5." How can they make a movie outa that? I'm now reading "The Sirens of Titan," and "Cat's Cradle," both Vonnegut's. Am on page 97 in the first, and 18 in the second. I've been doing tentative thought-collecting for the first phase of "Morrison Epic," and I'll pro'ly have the thing finished in a couple of months (that would make it July. Gad! I hope I go faster than that). It was another warm sunny day, so I had to go out. It's been that way every day for weeks! Maybe it'll change, I hope.
1969 Delacort First Edition Hardcover

1959 Dell First Edition Paperback
1963 First Edition Hardcover
At least today I was able to get the room superficially tidied. I sent "The Typewriter" to F&SF. They've also got "Moira Quest." Twice as good a chance of selling something, maybe. Jordan bugged me some more today (Uh oh, he's still got the radio. He likes to hear the short-wave buzz.), and tomorrow I gotta babysit for him cause his mom's going away for a day or so.

L&M [sister Laramée & brother-in-law Michael Sarason] came over today in their new Plymouth Duster. They were followed shortly by C&W [brother Chuck & his girlfriend Wendy Carpenter], so the place was full of folks. The whole family, s'matter of fact, including spouses, minus Pop. So that was today.
I washed the dishes whilst everyone was here so I'd have something to do, and Chunk wanted a book to read, so I gave him "Slaughterhouse 5," and "The New Centurions." Winnie brought me "Childhood's End" which I should've read a year ago, and "Cat's Cradle," but I found out I already had a copy of that, so she kept it. Tis now 11:20:03.

J. E. Hoover died today incidentally. And the North Viet's are winning the war. Rest in peace, Nixon.

FINIS  (MY PENMANSHIP IS LOUSY!!)

No comments: