Saturday, February 23, 2013

Feb 23 - More kayaking misadventures

Wednesday, February 23, 1972 - Page 54
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

(2:42 AM 2/24/1972)
Last night I retired at the ungodly hour of 10:00 P.M. Awoke at 7:00 A.M. and immediately finished writing the last two pages on Moira, and typed them -- it's 14 pages long, 2,800 words. But that's just the rough draft -- now I have to rewrite it. I washed the dishes, got the mail and mailed the Latka Letter and an order for the Doubleday Time-Life book of Astronomy.

It was cloudy in the morning, and I decided that if it cleared up I'd go out kayaking. Unfortunately, it did clear up, and at 1:30 I staggered down to the bay with the blue down-river boat -- the one that had dunked me three times yesterday. I had determined to master the tippy monster -- after all, it was just a lump of fiberglass, right? It was a mere inanimate conveyance, and I was a man with a clever mind and skilled coordination. It only sank twice -- after that, I gave up. The first time I made it to the raft where I tied it down and sun bathed for an hour or so. The second time I made it to the shore and staggered back home. I took a warm bath to recover my senses. Chunk came over at 5:00 and I went out in Glenn's light blue slalom kayak, and he took the red slalom kayak that leaks alot: "Patch." We started to go around Lido Isle but turned around and returned at 6:00. M & I went to get Fish & Chips for dinner. I went to sleep at 8:00, woke up at 2:30.  

No comments: