Thursday, February 21, 2013

Feb 21 - Washington's 240th birthday

Monday, February 21, 1972 - Page 52
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

9:00 PM
Wrote a few more pages in Moira-Quest last night -- now I've got 9 typewritten pages and there are pro'ly three more to go. Mom left for work at 7:30, Dad left at 10:00. At around ten thirty Ben Parks (mentor of Chunk Lyda at the peak of his kayaking career) dropped by. I called Winnie who called Chunk (he works at the 76 station next door) and Ben summarily wandered off in the right direction. He'd been down the Amazon about a year ago and he's been working in L.A.

I washed the dishes and, by 2:00, I tried to get some sleep but Tacosumi provided some difficulties -- she probably thought it was pretty funny. The cat brought me a lizard which I -- upon waking up -- threw out the window. But like a good cat she fetched it and returned it to me, and I woke up again and threw it back out. And she brought it back. And I threw it out. The fourth time, I threw it as far as I could, and Taco couldn't find it. So I got to sleep at about 3:00. [Tacosumi was my Siamese cat -- her name is a play on the catchphrase "Sock it to me" which was made popular by the TV sketch comedy show Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.]

At 6:00 I woke up due to a lot of noise Mom was making on the phone. She was talking to Larry, laughing, yelling and arguing politics -- a level to which Larry seldom lowers himself. Today is Washington's birthday -- he's 240. His cake started a greater alarm fire in D.C. Ha ha. Well, it wasn't funny but at least it was original.

WASHINGTON'S BIRTHDAY JOKE:
Boy, wasn't George Washington lucky to be born on a holiday.
(SORRY, THAT'S ALL)

[In fact, George's birthday was February 22, 1732. On January 1, 1971, it was moved to the third Monday in February to create a bonus three-day weekend, which is currently called Presidents' Day.]

No comments: