Saturday, January 5, 2013

Jan 05 - "Don't bother calling the police..."***

Wednesday, January 5, 1972
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

11:30 PM
I got the car from mom at noon (after meeting with Matt at Coco's at 10:30), then I went to school to bid farewell to everyone (Shawna copped out). I picked Matt up at Coco's at 12:30 and he & me went to the Antique shop, where I got my glasses, and we told them we couldn't take the radio. From there, Matt & I went to Grandlydia where we cleaned out the trunk and I packed my stuff (I left a note, and called SMR [Surgical Mechanical Research] to tell Mom she had to find some other ride home).

[Handwritten note]
Mom & Dad,
Naturally you're going to be extremely furious, and I'm breaking quite a few laws, but I've got to get away for awhile and this is the only way I could manage. Sorry I had to take the car, but at least you've got the Cougar, and with me gone the economic situation shouldn't be too bad. I may be back in a couple of months or a year -- I want to get out and moving, and I hope you don't hate me too much for wanting complete independence so soon. Don't bother calling the police because I'll probably be out of California by tomorrow. I'm not running away, I'm just taking a vacation, and it's unfortunate that I had to be somewhat deceitful to do it. Please try to understand. Don't take this too seriously -- my life has to change and I'm doing it in a pretty drastic manner, but it won't seem so bad after the novelty wears off. I had to stop stagnating and living off you two -- I'm on my own now like I should be, and I hope you can respect that. I'll write every now and then so you'll know I'm still around. Good luck. Don't worry. Calm down!
Your Son, the Thief.
"Adventurous young devil, wouldn't you say?"
"Perhaps. But he's stupid as hell."
"True, true."

1:37 AM
We went to Matt's house, packed a bag, put it in the car, went to Harbor High to get Meg, but Meg wasn't there, so we went to Cablevision, where we stayed for a couple of hours -- Matt helped edit a Cable T.V. show, though he was fired recently. Saw Meg, but we ignored each other. I guess I won't get my story from her very soon. Dan so far has not shown up, so it seems he won't be coming. After Cablevision, we went to Caroline Fischer's house to get Matt's records, then we went to Matt's house, where I stayed for an hour or so. Eventually, I left and drove to the Lido to see the "French Connection" again. Went to Jack in the Box after that, and now ("now" being 1:37 A.M., WED. NIGHT, THURSDAY MORNING) I am sitting in the parking lot in the Westcliff shopping center, trying not to feel miserable, and waiting until 3:00, at which time I rendezvous with Matt to pack the rest of his stuff -- then we leave the state. Bon voyage.

THE DYE IS CASTE!
HELP!

STUPIDITY IS A NATURAL TRAIT OF YOUNG PEOPLE


[Inserted here is the Letter of Recommendation Grady requested on Tuesday, January 4]
Sea Schwinn CYCLERY   420 EAST 17TH STREET • COSTA MESA, CALIF.  92627     646-7706   646-6855 

January 5, 1972
Letter of Introduction for Grady Lyda

To Whom it may concern,

While attending school, Grady worked part time for several years with us on assembly of new bicycles.  He was on a demanding schedule and would work three or four days a month and full time the months of October, November and December, during our Christmas rush.

When we called, Grady was always willing and able to work and perform his duties satisfactorily.

Manager -- Sea Schwinn Cyclery,
Ed Wamboldt

No comments: