Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Feb 19 - The incredible shrinking man

Saturday, February 19, 1972 - Page 50
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

10:00 PM
Typed page 4, listened to Lohman and Barkley [a morning radio show on KFI], got the Saturday Daily Pilot from outside for Mom (her back's fouled up) and then I went to sleep at 10:00 A.M. -- Mom woke me up at noon to get the mail from the office before it closed, and to buy the Sunday paper and some ding dongs at the Liquor store. I did and promptly went back to sleep and didn't wake up till 6:00 P.M. Then I took a bath, and then I watched T.V. (All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke) after which I came to my room and read the first four pages in Moira-Quest. No editor in his right mind would buy that stupid story. But I'm committed, so I'll finish the idiot thing and send it out, gambling for a mad editor somewhere who will take it. But I'll get to work right away on another story -- I've gotta have something saleable in a couple of months at most. I don't need the money but it sure would be convenient to have it.

(1:57 AM 2/21/1972)
At about 11:30 I went to the Liquor store to buy some Bufferin for Mom to ease her pain, and watched the Late Show which was "The Incredible Shrinking Man," that old S.F. classic itself. It ended at 3:00 A.M., dad got home at around 2:30 from a party. He left at 10:00 Sunday morning to work overtime at Aeroneurotic [actually Aeronutronic in Newport Beach, where my father worked as a defense/aerospace technical illustrator].

No comments: