Saturday, June 15, 2013

Jun 15 - Job Day 8 - Hammered heads

Thursday, June 15, 1972 - Page 167
LOCATION: Oxnard, California

(8:00 PM 6/18/1972)
GOT PAID TODAY -- SEE CHECK STUB [This document is missing from the book]

Wednesday Rick, me & Chunk worked till two, driving home amidst lots of traffic. We dropped off Rick, and then Chunk dropped me off. Thursday morning Chunk was late picking me up (see page 164, where I mentioned it already), but we still reached the yard at around 5:00, and picked up Rick. He said he'd been in a fight the last night and his nose hurt.

Rick drove first (after we stopped at Winchell's for donuts), then he got tired and Chunk drove, then he got tired, pulled off and slept a while, then we got to the Apartments at 7:30 A.M. I don't remember which days we did what, but by Saturday, we'd planted and watered all the plants, fixed the sprinklers, graded 3 fifths of the dirt, and raked it.

Thursday was the day I think we worked overtime. Chunk told Rego & Frank we'd be working from 5:30 to 8:00, I think. They'd get $3 an hour instead of $5.50. Fernando was left out because we thought he'd want more money. I played a lot of chess with Chunk, winning many games. Frank and Rego came over during the last game, and Frank brought some marijuana, so I beat Chunk while he was high. Rego is allergic to grass so he was the only one who didn't partake. We worked off the influence while digging wholes -- I think all this may have happened on Tuesday -- I can't remember. 'Course, I'm not trying too hard. Anyway, anyway, anyway what? I forgot.
Close cover before striking match... duh
After that first "anyway," Dad came to get an example of his artwork for Grampa Bill, and I lost my train of thought -- something of a train wreck, ya might say. I'm not thinking too hard, this is all just perfunctory and I'm not trying hard at all.

[Side note in left margin] Chunk & I played chess Thursday, for a dollar a game. We played lots of games, and I won three dollars from him -- But I was too weak to quit while I was ahead, and he won back his money, plus one dollar of mine (all quarters). I got disturbed, so I went out, walking a couple of miles along Oxnard Boulevard. "Hammerhead" was on TV -- A dumb erotic movie that required much editing. I saw it a few years ago.
Original Theatrical Poster, 1968

No comments: