Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Dec 18 - Denizens of public transportation**

Monday, December 18, 1972 - Page 353
LOCATION: Newport Beach, Santa Ana, Anaheim

(12:14:04 AM 12/19/1972)
Got up at 8:00, got to work at 9:45. Drove the Van a bit today cause Mike had to take his bike to the motorcycle shop to get a tire replaced (at Kawasaki's expense -- faulty merchandise) so I had to shuttle him Twice -- to drive there, with him riding his bike, and to drive back, with him riding his bike back after it was fixed. Washed some more windows ('twas a warm sunny day), finished the caulking, and broke a bathroom mirror, but still found time to procrastinate (about an hour's worth), to read. Had lunch at the Hamburger House.

Got the 6:30 bus (though I was there soon enough for the 6:00 bus) and talked with Dave. It was quite a crowd that day -- there were only five passengers -- one normal rider in back, the rest of us up front: John Keenen, a grossly extroverted sex pot who drives an ice-cream truck (he's 18); Lois, a regular rider on Dave's bus who's young, married, clever, and pretty in a simple way; and the girl who works at a coffee shop who gets on at South Coast Plaza and who rides free because she gets Dave a cup of coffee which he shares with me. I held yellow yarn for Lois while she wound it into a ball, and John (very loud) talked about various things, mostly about girls & himself -- I countered his comments with clever put-downs that he didn't notice, but which kept Lois, Coffee girl, & Dave chuckling.

The main topic tho was between me & Dave: he's got two other guys whom he works with who wants to buy his metallic green '62 Chevy Belair with the lousy upholstery but good engine whom I'm competing with. He'd like to see me get the car cuz I'm a helluva nice guy and he doesn't want to sell it to some one he works with cuz they might bug him later.

I walked home, cuz mom was playing bridge, but on the way Chunk picked me up in the Barracuda, then picked up Winnie at her house, then dropped me off with Tim's chess set. I wrapped it up like an X-mas gift and I'll give it to him. Am on page 249 in "22" -- am gonna read it now.

TOMORROW: The new maid, Mimi (or Enid)

No comments: