Sunday, December 1, 2013

Dec 01 - Stopped by cop for jaywalking**

Friday, December 1, 1972 - Page 336
LOCATION: Newport Beach, Santa Ana, Anaheim

(3:30 PM 12/9/1972)
Left for work at 7:00. Got to work by 8:45. Replaced maintenance check sheets -- attached is one example of one of the sheets -- there are four heater rooms in all.
The sheets now will be much neater and drier I hope. M is Mike Sarason's signature, MB was Mark's initial, KW is Ken's, and I was GLL, John Hancock (Mark wrote Ms. Hancock), and I also used the Roman numerals.

On other sheets I wrote the date backwards -- in another one I wrote it upside down and backwards for about a week. No one ever mentioned it. Lately I learned that Ernie Krause [the owner of the Ivanhoe] checks the sheets every time he drops by. I wonder how he's taking it. On the new sheets I'm neater, but still outré. I wrote the dates like: 12 - 4our - 72 GLL. That shows that I'm an artist ya see.

All I did in the way of work was paint the bathrooms in 129, 30 & 31. Ken got there at 1:00, & I left at 1:15. It was 85° in L.A. -- the hottest day on record for that date in history. While I was walking to the bus stop, I noticed the traffic lights were malfunctioning -- they just blinked red and the heavy traffic had to improvise their order.

I had to cross Harbor to get to the bus stop so I started walking down the street to jay walk where the traffic was less dangerous. An Anaheim cop noticed me -- I was wearing my hat and I naturally look guilty so he stopped me at the gas station on the corner. Twas just routine. He had spent 17 years in Dayton, Ohio (He noticed I was born there). I asked him about the draft situation, and he said we were still sposed to carry draft cards but it wasn't enforced. I never bothered to register. He was a nice guy, he let me go, and then went to fix the traffic lights. [End of page... this day is continued in next entry]

TOMORROW: A visit from Grandpa Bill

No comments: