Thursday, December 12, 2013

Dec 12 - Great TV: Live from the Moon & The Snow Goose***

Tuesday, December 12, 1972 - Page 347
LOCATION: Newport Beach, Santa Ana, Anaheim

10:47:31 PM
I din't get to sleep early last night. I was committed to getting the dishes washed, so I did them whilst watching T.V. "Live from the moon" pictures showed a couple hours of the astronaut's EVA. [To see videos of the final moonwalks, go to NASA's documentary "On the Shoulders of Giants" in the entry for tomorrow, December 13]. 'Twere the best yet.

Jain [mom's sister] phoned, but mom was at bridge so I had to talk with her. We'll be driving up there to Frisco in a couple weeks. I finally got to sleep around 1:30 or 2:00. Got on the 8:00 A.M. bus.

Oh, I forgot -- history repeated itself, loudly. Observing my reactions as compared to the last time, I see -- I just killed an ant. They're still around but dwindling -- anyway, I see my reflexes are improving. The 'repaired' horn on the Imperial went off again [The last time this occurred was on November 1]. It woke me up immediately at 3:39, and I stabbed my digital alarm clock several times to stop it -- it didn't stop, so I assumed somebody else's alarm was going off. But after a millisecond of pondering, I got up, slipped into my gym shorts, and tromped out to the car (mom was up immediately and handed me the keys as I went out into the cold). I unlocked the door (fortunately it had been fixed) and jabbed the horn lever a few times, turning it off, then I released the hood and unplugged the wires -- this time I knew exactly where they were. It was over in minutes and I was back to bed quickly.

I got up at 7:30, got to work at 9:45. Shampooed the rugs of renovated rooms today, with Ken vacuuming afterwards. Got 12 done, tho Mike expected 6. Put up X-mas lights over the Ivanhoe entrance. Departed at 5:00. Got the 6:00 OCTD & was home by 7:00. Watched some more EVA TV. Saw "The Snow Goose," an xcellent film with Richard Harris. I just took a bath. It is 11:01:50 P.M. That's enough. -- Started reading "Catch-22." Am on page 46. Thend: 11:03:03 P.M.
First edition cover (wikipedia info)


"The Snow Goose" 1971 -- Watch the whole movie here in five 10-minute chunks (these are better quality than the full 50-minute version on YouTube)
Heartfelt and wonderfully done movie about a lonely man, Philip Rhayadar (Richard Harris), who helps local girl Frith (Jenny Agutter) rescue a wounded goose from hunters. Well directed and acted, this made for TV movie won a Golden Globe award and Jenny Agutter was awarded an Emmy for her performance. The movie was also Emmy nominated in 8 other categories.
NOW, FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT...
Original 1970 Theatrical Release Poster
I remember watching "A Man Called Horse" at a drive-in theater but that must have been in 1973 (or possibly in 1971). The movie was in theaters in '72 as noted when my mother, grandfather & I were about to go see it, but then we got side tracked by other events on June 17.  

BONUS FEATURE: Another masterful Richard Harris performance: "A Man Called Horse" 1970 (wiki info). Watch the ENTIRE MOVIE right now.

TOMORROW: The End of an Era: The last moonwalk ever

No comments: