Saturday, August 17, 2013

Aug 17 - Greyhounding to Rapid**

Thursday, August 17, 1972 - Page 230
LOCATION: Davenport, Omaha, Sioux City, Sioux Falls, Rapid City



9:00 AM
Most of the night was above 80° everywhere we went. The bus was airconditioned fortunately. We stopped in Davenport, Iowa at 11:00, and we got a new driver, but the same rider continued on (he was heading for Omaha) -- they were both veteran bus operators and they talked quite a bit. Got into Iowa City at 12:15 (we left Chi with 29 passengers -- the number fluctuated one or two with each stop) Stopped at the Landmark Restaurant at 1:00 for 20 minutes and I bought a Fresca.

Reached Des Moines at 2:50 A.M. and got a new younger driver -- the rider didn't talk to him, he just slept. I dozed a bit myself -- Got into Omaha at 5:00 A.M. and everyone got off the bus. My bus to Sioux Falls, S.D., had left a half hour earlier -- So here I sit, waiting for the 10:00 bus to S.F. I put my bag in a locker and wandered around Omaha. I picked up a newspaper from a door step (there were three -- I took one and put back two). I read the paper while the sun rose. I killed time in the terminal reading and writing after that.

11:45 PM
The bus came at 10:00 -- It got to Sioux City at 12:30. Then the bus I got on in Chicago (7084) appeared to take me on to Sioux Falls S.D. at 2:00. Got to S.F. at 6:00 I think. Left at 6:30 and continued on to Rapid City. Thinking back, I'm wrong about most of -- oh no, that's right. Anyway, got into Rapid at 11:30, as per schedule. The Jack Rabbit station is only a block or so from the Alex Johnson, so at least I'm oriented. The day was hot, in the mid nineties mostly, but approaching R.C. clouds gathered on the horizon, and lightning storms appeared. There was some rain. But here I am now, sitting under a clear sky in a mild night, about to go to sleep in a vacant lot behind the station. G'night.

TOMORROW: Ruffing it: "Welcome To Rapid City"

No comments: