Monday, August 26, 2013

Aug 26 - Preparing to hit the road again

Saturday, August 26, 1972 - Page 239
LOCATION: Bethlehem, South Dakota

11:30 AM
I finished Waterclap last night before going to sleep. Woke up today at 9:00 when Fr. Henry asked me & Dennis to sign a Bon Voyage card for the McKeevers. Dennis & I are always the last ones to get up. I went up to the house for some cold hot chocolate and peanut butter, talked with Joe a bit, and read an article about Nixon in McCall's. About 10:00 everyone gathered in the chapel to say goodby to Joe & Ed who left with the McKeevers (Mrs., Grandma, and Pat & Christi & Devon -- I don't know where Mr. was). He said he'd send me the Art books in a couple of days after he and his brother had hitched back home, in Kearny (That's pronounced "Carney"), Nebraska.

With the Mc's and Joe & Ed gone our population has dwindled quite a bit. Fr. Gil is still gone, Jim Farmer is sick so Brad alone is in charge of the cave, but even tho it's already 11:31 A.M., Saturday, there haven't been any tourists. I'll be doing some tentative packing. Whenever the mail gets here it'll pro'ly have my money in it, so I'll be leaving tomorrow almost certainly.

8:00 PM
I got everything packed, putting in more than I came with. The stuff just barely fit. I took a bath (shower, rather) because I was smelling like the wrong end of a sewer -- I had no clean clothes to wear. Slept from about 4 to 7. The only people here are M.R., Fr. H, Sr. S, Mary, Tom T, Brad, Bruce, Dennis, and Jim. That's an unusually low population. I got the money order today for $80. While I was on the phone with the airline, Mary slipped an 'I Love You' card into my back pocket. Nothing personal, just a nice gesture. I wrote the Italian equivalent [Ti Amo] in Old English and gave it to her. Nothing personal, just a nice gesture. [For more about the Shrine's "I Love You" cards, see January 12]

TOMORROW: Flying with a bomb on Western Airlines

No comments: