Thursday, August 15, 2013

Aug 15 - Four-part Soviet series, War & Peace

Tuesday, August 15, 1972 - Page 228
LOCATION: Chicago

9:15 PM
Marcus came over today too, and he's here now -- boy! this is a neat pen. I've never used it before, it's one of Ken's. It's just a bic, but it skids along nicely -----. Anyway, I got up at 10:00 A.M. as usual. Proceeded to work on Marcus and finished him at 7:30. I took a nap for a coupla hours and had to wake up for dinner. Saw the last part of War & Peace. It vus goot! Ken's working from 9 to 4 tomorrow.
Photo of 1967 Russian poster for War and Peace
Original theatrical poster for War and Peace,
a Soviet film adaptation of Leo Tolstoy's novel
released in four parts during 1966 & 1967
Boy, today didn't take up much space did it? Wait a second... yeah, I checked and this is the shortest installment I've made since I've been here in Chicagoland. I don't know why, I've had duller days than this, I'm sure, yet this day, August 15, 1972 -- the day before I am to leave -- happens to be the day which gets the least written about it. Oh, by the way, I read another story in my old anthology -- by Robert Silverberg, "Ishmael In Love." About a love-struck dolphin. Poor devil. Was a good story.
Photo of jumping dolphins

There was a dolphin in the Shedd Aquarium that I was observing closely. Are they sentient? No indication that they aren't. If they are, how long before we recognize the fact and make intelligent contact? Well, I've about run out of stuff to say. This isn't the shortest installment after all. I might say something profoundly clever right now but I won't bother. Count your blessings. Finis. ---
Photo of DVD boxset of the BBC War & Peace TV series
DVD Cover released in 2005
A 20-part BBC TV series of War and Peace ran from September 30, 1972 until February 8, 1973. It starred Anthony Hopkins as the conflicted character, Pierre Bezukhov.

TOMORROW: The bus journey begins

No comments: