Saturday, August 31, 2013

Aug 31 - Ghostly Sole Survivors**

Thursday, August 31, 1972 - 244
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

(2:00 AM 9/1/1972)
Goddup at around 11:00. Got all my dirty clothes (which are all my clothes) bagged to get washed. Got slightly more organized and am getting into filing af all my mags. They'll take a while. Chunk called, then came to pick me up. We played ice hockey until the Olympics on T.V., then played chess. We finished the game we started the other day -- I won. I beat him soundly at hockey, and we tied at chess.

Chunk has to get up at 4:00 in the A.M. so he went to bed at 11:00. Murray came over at 8:00 when the Olympics came on and he took lots of double exposures with his camera stationed in front of the set with a tripod. When Chunk went to bed he and I played a couple games of chess. He won them both (humiliating). -- Connie came in. She thought I was Chunk -- and she hit me under that assumption. Winnie came in shortly after her, but she didn't mistake me. She & Connie talked, and Murray & I left after the (3rd?) game.

He drove me home, and he and I watched T.V. A few minutes of D. Cavett, a few mins of J. Carson (with J. Bishop), and watched a couple hours of "Sole Survivor," a strange movie Murray & Chunk had seen the beginning of (the day B4 our Catalina trip [June 4 and 5]) and wanted to see the ending of. It ended at 1:30. He left. We have ants. It is now about 2:10. G'night. --
Title screen shot of 1970's Sole Survivor
"Sole Survivor" (wikipedia info) originally aired as a 90-minute "ABC Movie of the Week" on January 9, 1970. As noted here, it was rerun twice in 1972. This was a compelling Twilight Zonish ghostly tale starring Vince Edwards, Richard Basehart, and William Shatner, loosely based on a true story involving a World War II bomber named "Lady Be Good" that crashed in the Libyan desert in 1943. The mysteriously well-preserved wreckage was discovered in 1958. This incident also inspired an episode of The Twilight Zone TV series entitled "King Nine Will Not Return."
[Side note] Got a letter from Sue.


TOMORROW: Ant wars

No comments: