Friday, August 16, 2013

Aug 16 - The bus journey begins**

Wednesday, August 16, 1972 - Page 229
LOCATION: Chicago
(9:00 AM 8/17/1972)
Got up at around 10:45 when Sue woke me up. Ken had left for work at 8:00 A.M. Ate "brunch" of hamburger & french fries from Atlas. Sue had wanted to go to Aqua, but I declined. I stayed in my room most of the day reading my old S.F. Anthology. Peg & Sue came up and looked through all the Playboys Larry left for Ken -- they were searching for one of the bunnies who resembled Peggy. Clark had been told by friends (and been given photographic evidence) that Peg had been a playboy bunny. They found one possible photo that looked a bit like her.
August 1972 issue
Any way, I left at 5:30 (I kissed Sue goodbye first of course) -- Ken drove me to the depot, and Sue came along for the ride. My duffle bag weighed 40 pounds, incidentally. So it was in no danger for over weight on the airplane -- the limit would have been 70 lbs. I bought my ticket and waited for an hour. I found a vacant seat with the T.V. set still going, so for free I watched the last half of the old Dick Van Dyke show, and the first 15 minutes of The David Steinberg show.

The bus was supposedly leaving at gate 25 -- I waited there (after retrieving my duffle bag from the lockers where I stored it while I waited -- too heavy to carry around) -- but the bus got filled up. So I was the first on the next bus, which was right beside it. So I naturally took the right front seat. We departed by 8:00 (half hour late), with a bus driver, and another one who was just along for the ride. They talked shop awhile. The rider had been a bus operator for 20 years, and he had never had an occurrence like happened on the bus that night -- the rest room door locked itself. The bus had to stop at a gas station where he stood on a barrel and poked a broom handle through a vent on the outside to unlatch the door. Then we resumed our journey.

TOMORROW: Greyhounding to Rapid

No comments: