Saturday, August 3, 2013

Aug 03 - Art Institute, Adler, Abe Lincoln & squirrels

Thursday, August 3, 1972 - Page 216
LOCATION: Chicago

(12:30 PM 8/4/1972)
Mrs. was going to go to school today so she drove me to the Art Institute. We started at 10:30, and arrived at the A.I. by 11:30 -- the traffic was not good -- State St. was being marched upon by thousands of little kids (Soozwol was one of the supervisors -- that's her job. You may recall that while working, a bowling ball was dropped on her toe -- that's her job). I ate lunch in the cafeteria there, and left at 2:00.
Photo of one of the two lion statues flanking the Institute's main entrance
Art Institute of Chicago where my grandfather,
Charles Wilimovsky, taught many years ago


Picture of Chicago's Adler Planetarium in a 2000 photo
Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum
It had been raining all day, and was still sprinkling while I walked to the Adler Planetarium. There is nothing but parks between the Institute and the Planetarium, so I spent some time playing with squirrels. I noticed one squirrel with a pecan that it buried at the grass's edge. I dug it up and fed it to three other squirrels.
Photo of The Chicago Lincoln built by Avard Fairbanks (2013 photo)
Bronze sculpture of Lincoln by
Avard Fairbanks, 1956
I rested a while at the Lincoln statue -- I wasn't too energetic. The last two nights I've gotten to sleep at 3:00 A.M. and got up at 9 or 10. Anyway, I left the Planetarium by 6:30 -- the sky was sunny when I came out. All day had been very windy (the waves from the lake splashed well above the sidewalk), so the clouds were blown away. I took a different bus back -- it was to Jackson & Kedzie. I got back okay, tho it was a slightly different route.
Map of Downtown Chicago
My guide to Downtown Chicago in 1972
Marcus & Sue were the only ones home when I arrived -- I made 3 ham sandwiches and went upstairs. Larry, Ken & I played Mirror Mania (Larry brought it -- I won both games) -- and we & Mark & Sue watched the movie Ken took of his vacation. I was in the ones of Bethlehem, of course.

TOMORROW: Improving this journal

No comments: