Thursday, May 30, 2013

May 30 - Chess & turmoil at Chuck's place***

Tuesday, May 30, 1972 - Page 151
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

(1:11:11 AM 5/31/1972)
Got up today when Chunk came in at 12:30 [PM], putting his boat back, along with another one belonging to some one else who will pick it up some time. I beat him one game of chess, and he left at 12:45. I wrote a letter to Fr. Gil, and mailed it with Sooz' letter. Tried to figure out the quickest way to check mate somebody and only was able to get it down to 16 moves.

I read some more in "Thother" (pg. 96) and I'm on 126 in "mansrisetocivilizationasshownbytheindiansofnorthamericafromprimevaltimestothecomingoftheindustrialstate" (Cross your own t's and dot your own i's). Chunk called 'bout six 30, and I drove over there to play chess. Chunk won six, I won three (boo!) and 3 were stale (alas). He made a meat loaf (he was going to use grass instead of parsley but he couldn't get any -- radical freak! Shame, shame), so I ate there. Connie needed help starting her car, and later she gave us some banana cream pies she got free from Contucky Fried Chick'n. Saw about ten minutes of the McGov/Humph debate whilst playing.

I left at 12:30 [AM], taking the big plastic plant and Wilimovsky painting as mom instructed.
"Balcony, New Orleans" Oil Painting by Charles A. Wilimovsky, my Mom's father
This was a festering to the familial turmoil writhing beneath the surface of Winnie & Mom. It's an interesting case where neither can see the other's viewpoint, and neither is wrong nor right. A true-life stalemate, and resultantly Winnie is becoming a stale mate for Chunk. She came home as I was about to leave -- when she saw what I'd taken she called at me to come back up, and take everything else (she now has a hole in the wall with nothing to cover it with, and a vacant spot on the floor).

To gain breathing time I called Dad (waking him up) because it would have been convenient for me to drop stuff off at his place that I had in the car. He thought not. By this time Winnie's displeasure had graduated to frustrated crying, and Chunk suggested I leave. Prudently, I left. He and me are pretty similar, and we both are beginning to recognize that he's always impressed when I do well with football, sports, girls or practical knowledge -- he doesn't expect it of me.

As youths he and me were in constant conflict, but now that we've grown out of it we can see each other with due respect. When Wendy was blowing up, I caught Chunk looking at me to gauge my reaction -- That's the kind of thing I do: Though you're involved in something, you can still be detached enough to check out other factors and people in unusual situations. Character analysis. Chunk's got as many facets as I have, and vice versa. But some are more obvious than others. 1:42:14 FINIS
Wendy Carpenter and Chuck Lyda

No comments: