Saturday, May 4, 2013

May 04 - TIME-JUMP: Letter to Dad from Europe**

Thursday, May 4, 1972 - 125
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

8:30 PM
The letter taped hereon was included a while back because it contains an encapsulated version of the Europe trip. It is exactly (give or take a small margin of inexactitude) a tenth of a decade old. So much for that.
Vidi, Vici, Ivi Domum = I came, I saw, I went home

I am now on page 100 in Cat's Cradle, and 215 in Sirens of Titan. Mostly I'm working on getting the choicest gems from my comic paper collection and mercilessly disposing of the rest. I washed the dishes today. Jordan hardly tormented me at all today -- only about 5 minutes worth, but he got the viewmaster and several slides for it.
A Sawyer model G View-Master viewer
Chunk called today, and it appears as if he & me are going to Ensenada, Mex. tomorrow. To cross the border, one must be 18, and I, alas am going to be 17 for the next 75 days. Therefore, I called Timothy to obtain Peter's number, so I could contact him in order to borrow some form of photoless 18-year-old identification of some sort maybe. Peter wasn't home, Tim noted. I called James Richard Fish I, but he wasn't home either. He did, however, return the call but, no, he didn't have any such identification except his draft card which he couldn't, of course, let me borrow because, you see, it is morally, ethically, and legally uncouth. From him I obtained Randy Hill's number, but he couldn't help either.

Chunk called back, and filled me in about tomorrow's excursion, and said he got George's ID, so I am now a 22-year-old ex-marine (Grrrrrr!). I have 10$ now, because Dad came by today with $5 and I already had $5 -- so I now have ten. I figured that out in my head. How's that for a hi-school dropout?

No comments: