Friday, May 17, 2013

May 17 - Discovering dead critters in Back Bay

Wednesday, May 17, 1972 - Page 138
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

(2:22:22 AM 5/18/1972)
Another sunny day. I sun bathed on the veranda for an hour (my tan isn't getting any darker, despite the tan lotion), then decided I must do some exercise. So I looked for a terrestrial access to the stretch of beach at the base of the cliffs. The tide was too high for me to get away with traversing private property (I tried, but was admonished by one old guy, so I decided against it).

So I climbed the cliffs, and came down to the beach, and ran back and forth along it. I ran a lot, but I rested a lot more, during which I found the skull of some kind of animal. Poking around more, I found in the water the creature's skin with most of the hair and bones detached. I also found a claw with the flesh still on it, and the lower jaw. I believe it was canine. I also found some dead jellyfish, crabs and shrimps. I ran some more, and then I found a dead duck. It was a domestic mallard-type duck who had not been dead long. I'll be observing its rate of decay every now and then.

I got back home at 4:15. Dad came over to eat before getting back to work, and to give us money. Mom and I cleaned out the back of the trailer and organized the residue kayaks. Chunk called, so Mom and I drove out to pick him up from his job. I watched T.V. and washed the dishes, and read some more of "Childhood's End" (now on 167). Time is 2:35:00 A.M. --- Thuh Ind.

No comments: