Monday, May 6, 2013

May 06 - Chuck & I go paddling in rough seas**

Saturday, May 6, 1972 - Page 127
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

11:30 PM
Chunk called at about 10:00 A.M. and said we could go out in a canoe for Laguna at two o'clock. He's got a week off cause there's no work at his place of employment -- he's a ditch digger and there aren't any more ditches to be dug. So at one thirty he came over (prior to that I almost finished reading "The Sirens of Titan" -- I was on page 308, of a 319 page book. I'll finish it before I go to sleep tonight).

Mom has been doing extensive house cleaning, and Chunk & I had to remove the big white cabinet from behind the Cabaña. We couldn't fit it in the trashcan so we set it outside like an out house. So mom drove me & Chunk to the Sea Scout Base where he procured an aluminum canoe and paddles. We didn't make it to Laguna. We didn't even try -- I was busy learning how to paddle a canoe.

We got out into the open sea among the liquid mountains and valleys of the ocean, and somehow we managed to stay upright. Some guy in a sailboat with two or three other people, and a beer in his hand, and a mustache under his nose, recognized me and verbalized several greetings. It must've been Matt. I was in no condition to recognize anybody among those waves. It was a rough sea, and an overcast day but the traffic in the bay was heavy. We paddled till 7:30, twice passing Eyesore Park (coming and going) so we stopped there twice.

Afterwards, Mom and I went to the Orange Drive-in to see "Buck & the Preacher" (Sidney Potter & Belafonte). I'm exhausted and have a headache. -- 11:41:35 -- FINIS

No comments: