Wednesday, May 8, 2013

May 08 - Kayak-fishing with Mike in Back Bay

Monday, May 8, 1972 - Page 129
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

(1:09:00 AM 5/9/1972)
Goddup today at 11:00 A.M. when Mike came over. He took the day off, and we immediately went to buy doughnuts at Winchell's, riding on his bike. Then we went to Sav-on and he bought fishing lines, then we came back to Eye-sore park (I got the mail -- the Bible came along with a letter from Tom) and I bought a feather lure from the Bait Shop, and we went out, it being a sunny day. I wasn't out five minutes before I caught a fish -- a kelp bass, I do believe -- dragging the line behind the kayak. It was only about 8 inches long, so I threw it back. As it happened, however, after about 3 hours, that first fish was the only one we caught. Oh well. About 4:30, Mike left. By the way, I got hit by a big mullet today, right across the face. Couldn't catch it though.
Kelp Bass (Paralabrax clathratus)
I took a bath, mom came home and made food, and right on cue Chunk came over to eat it. Mom left for bridge at 6:30, and Chunk & I played chess. I couldn't find a board, so we used a checkered dish towel. Miraculously, I checkmated him on the first game, trapping his Queen deviously and doing away with her, then moving to checkmate the old guy in a complete set up. The two following games I lost, of course. So Chunk left 'bout 7:45 on his bicycle, returned 'bout 8:30 on Norton and he & me rode to Coco's where Winnie's working and we tormented her as I had a hot fudge sundae and he had a banana split.

He expects me to participate in the races at Hansen Dam. He expects me to win the Junior races. Good Grief [See May 20, 1972, for an account of this race]. He just finished Slaughterhouse Five. I finished Cat's Cradle yesterday. We got back by 9:30 and I watched TV and washed the dishes. Nixon's mining N. Viet Nam's harbors to keep out Russia & China supplies. More on that in the history books. Tis now 1:24:26 A.M. FINIS. 

No comments: