Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sep 19 - Lame experiments: Building mini-bombs**

Tuesday, September 19, 1972 - Page 263
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

YOM KIPPOR T'day (I think) Shalom

10:00 AM
Hi. I haven't gone to sleep yet. I've been researching crocodiles and various other reptiles, but I'm pretty drowsy so I quit that and started playing with an earplug that was for my micro-radio that died. I dissected the thing, since it's too small to fit other radios, and I decided to make a bomb out of it, and at the same time see if one of the little energy cells in the radio would explode.

I scraped off the powder from wooden match heads and stuffed the empty ear plugs with it, and closed it with the battery inside. Then I took it down to the kitchen sink and ignited it. I made a recording of it when it went off. The following is a transcript of that recording: fsssstPWOPF!

It blew up, throwing fire six inches high, popping the top of the ear plug out of the sink and to the floor, knocking the heavy battery an inch. But the cell didn't explode. The ear plug was relatively undamaged, only slightly charred on the inside, so I made another bomb, stuffing more powder into it and placing the battery in an area where it should receive maximum impact. And I sealed it all in masking tape so the gasses can't release themselves by popping it open. And now I'm going to set it off. It is now exactly 10:00:00 A.M. Here I go...

Okay, I'm back. It is now exactly 10:01:58. I didn't record it that time, but as I recall it went hsssppp-POFPP!!! I can still feel the heat in the ear plug. The gasses and flame ascaped out the tiny fuse hole, shooting flaming bits up with great force. I'm not sure what became of the energy cell. It's still in the plug, but now I'll untape it and look inside...

Hmmmm-mmm-hm. Well. There was a great deal of residue. The only particles that escaped were those in the immediate fuse entry. The energy cell is still intact though it's coated with a dark substance. I'm going to try something -- How about that? I put the battery in my watch (after wiping it clean) and it still worked. Gee!
TOMORROW: Progress on Tempus Fugitives, my time travel series

No comments: