Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sep 14 - James Michener's Drifters

Thursday, September 14, 1972 - Page 258
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

2:35 AM
Last night I watched a lot of T.V. -- "I Dream of Genie," "The Goldiggers," "The Paul Lynde Show," "The Daughters of Joshua Cabe (A movie of the week)," and "The Julie Andrews Hour." I found a book near the T.V. called "The Drifters" by James Michener. The cover depicted three laughing young people, hand in hand. One of them was a sexy blonde in hot pants and a sans bra T-Shirt. It seemed close to the character in "Time Fall" so I figured I should read it. I'm reading it the only reasonable way you can read a Michener book (it is 768 pages loooong) -- I read the first few pages of each chapter, a bit of the middle that catches my eyes, and the last few pages which in this particular book are interrelated, all taking place in Torremolinos, Spain which attracts all the characters. It's nothing like "Time Fall" but I'm already on page 134 so I'll have to finish it.
The Drifters, 1971 (wikipedia info)
3:35 AM
Hopalong Cassidy died on the 13th [no, he actually died on Sep. 12 -- this refers to actor William Boyd (info), best known for portraying the Cassidy cowboy character in a popular movie series]. I carved off the black scar from the burn blisters on my index finger as if it was plastic. I also trimmed the deflated blister on my thumb, so both should heal soon. ---

11:30 PM
Got to sleep at 7:00 in the morning. Mom was late for work -- nowadays she has to be there at 6:45 A.M. I woke up at noon to answer the phone -- it was mom saying I had to be a pall-bearer tomorrow so I should be bathed and ready to go out to get clothes. I went back to sleep and got up around 2:30. Exercised and took a bath.

Mom got here around 5:00. She tried callin Dad but his line was busy -- tried Chunk but he wasn't home. At 6:45 we drove to dad's -- dropped off some trash and picked up some books and a credit card I guess. Then we drove to the Broadway at Fascist Island [actually Fashion Island]. Bought pants, a shirt, belt & shoes. Left there and got chicken at the Golden Chicken (mom wrote a check for it), and we bought milk (she had a dollar) and cigarets. Got back around 9:30. Chunk'll be a pall bearer tomorrow too. ---

TOMORROW: I am a pallbearer at the funeral

No comments: