Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Jan 09 - All Points Bulletin

Sunday, January 9, 1972
LOCATION: Bethlehem, South Dakota

4:30 PM
Last night we went cave crawling where I got very muddy, and acquainted myself with the local folk. Before that, Matt and I set up his stereo equipment in a cabin. I slept in one of the rooms in Tom's, etc's, cabin -- that's where Matt & I will be staying. I left the cave before Matt, leaving with Tom, Penny, Mary, and someone else. I got to bed at about 11:30, and Matt got back at about 1:00 A.M. I got up this morning at around 8:30 when Matt came in to change clothes -- he's slept in the retreat house or somewhere.

We had breakfast at 9:30 (oat meal & scrambled eggs), then threw around paper airplanes for awhile. I got to work stripping the insulation from the wire I'd use on the tire chains while the gang in the retreat house sat around and listened to Brad play the guitar.

Mass broke things up at 11:30 A.M., during which I went to the cabin, listened to the stereo, and finished stripping the wire. Since I didn't have the keys to the car, I went to my room to do the writing I had to do (diary & Latka letter) -- but Tom arrived, and I went to see Matt. Father Gilbert talked with us, and we found out there is an All Points Bulletin out on the car, and we are truant [The APB means that any police officer in the US could arrest me, anywhere at any time, for car theft. I was a "wanted man," but luckily nobody thought of looking for me in the mountains of South Dakota].

Matt's parents have contacted mine (via Meg), and they all know where we are, we have their consent, and everything's fine, except for the police. Matt's mother is going to try to get that taken care of, but there are definitely going to be some legal problems involved.

We can stay here as long as we want, so we'll pro'ly be here a month or more. 'S alright -- I think I'll like it.

No comments: