Saturday, September 21, 2013

Sep 21 - How did stegosaurs mate?

Thursday, September 21, 1972 - Page 265
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California
Megalosauruses
3:00 PM
Haven't been to sleep yet. Worked on T.F. and learned that a species called Megalosaurus in the Mesozoic was sentient. Read an article in Nat. Geo. about Piranhas and now I've gotta finish the last N.G. I have left to read about Remote Sensing devices. I went out today for sun at 10:30. I swam to the raft, stayed on it for a while, but noticed how red I was so I swam to the beach, stayed awhile, and was back at 11:30.

Watched T.V., broiled the chicken that was in the refrigerator, and washed the dishes. Now it is 3:04:55, and I don't know where the rest of the day will be spent. (Was in the 90°s today)

(1:04:24 AM 9/22/1972)
I retired today at about 6:30 P.M. after trying to find the answer to a question nobody's ever asked before that I know of: How did a Stegosaurus mate? That's the one with the long spikes on its tail and the big plates sticking out of the back. That would be a very lethal arrangement for a male steg in heat. I checked into two books about dinosaurs, one about reptiles, one about birds, and two volumes in the Encyclopedia Britannica and none of them had the nerve (or gall) to tell me how a steg managed to procreate. I can figure out only one way, but the dinosaur would have to be pretty intelligent to pull it off. Anyway, it is now 1:10:37 A.M. I woke up at 12:45. Back to the research...

(5:44:35 AM 9/23/1972)
I went to sleep "today" (Sept 22, Fri) at 6:45, and woke up at 4:00 A.M. (Sat). Skimmed some more books for info, made scads of more notes. The heat was in the 80°s but it was sufficiently overcast to permit me to stay indoors. I got the mail, among which was a Psychology Today with a great ad about a great new Time/Life series called "The World Before Man." I sent for it right away. Mom brought McDonald food, as she usually does on Fri. cause by then there's no food here.

TOMORROW: TIME REVIEW: The past 100 days

No comments: