Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sep 17 - Massive index of National Geographics

Sunday, September 17, 1972 - Page 261
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

12:55:55 AM
I did some writing and reading (finished Cato chapter in "The Drifters," and a Kornbluth story in an anthology) -- and I got to sleep around 12:30 or 1:00 P.M. Woke up at about 5:00 P.M. and did some more writing -- oh, I know what I was doing. All this "reading & writing" sounds nebulous because I couldn't remember, but as I recall I was reading "Dinosaurs" and taking notes and making additions in "T.F." I watched T.V. today (mom went shopping by the way, first time we've had food in a week) -- watched "MASH," "Sandy Duncan," and "Goldfinger," which ended at 11:00.
British poster for Goldfinger (1964)
Then I decided to look into my index of my Nat. Geographic Collection that I completed in 1970, for information and photos on reptiles and related subjects. I dug up most of, if not all of the recent Geographics since Feb. 1970 (when I left off in my index), and now I'm going to catch up. It'll take me awhile (there are 32 (I've got a duplicate) mags I have to go thru) -- in '70 when I made the index, it was a major project that consumed a few weeks. The purpose was to have a ready reference for articles and outstanding photos that I might have to look into later. So, that's what I'll get into now.

Today around ten o'clock, a helicopter (pork chopper, whirli pig, copper copter, etc.) buzzed about and a couple of fire engines drove right past our trailer (pretty tight squeeze), along with an official auto. It caused quite a commotion among the folks in the Park (mom included -- I just continued watching James Bond) -- apparently it was a false alarm. Nobody saw any fire, and the machines pulled out after a half hour. I got my digital clock back, so I know it is precisely 1:09:52 right now.

[PS] I consider this a minor miracle -- In the 31 issues of N.G. that have occurred between Feb. 70 and now, Sept. 72, not a single issue is missing. I don't know how I managed that -- They were scattered all over the place -- 1:23:45 --

TOMORROW: The Bomb wiped out everyone except you, me & her

No comments: