Monday, June 24, 2013

Jun 24 - Learning to drive a stick**

Saturday, June 24, 1972 - Page 176
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

10:30 AM
Woke up today at 9:00 when Grandma Dot called. Woke up again at 10:00 when Dennis Heakin called. Stayed awake to write in this -- my immediate course of action is unclear at the moment. Mom is working today.

1:30 PM
I called Chunk at about a quarter to 11:00 to get my check. He's got it. I took a bath, and dad arrived. He left with Chunk who came by also whilst I was taking a bath (great timing). They came back with my money, Chunk & Winnie said s'long, and left (they were in the Ford Pickup -- he always drives that now. He was lucky to get it). I wanted to have the knowledge of driving with a clutch before leaving, so Dad and I went out in the Audi and I learned, sort of -- at least I now have a crude understanding of the principle -- I drove to Jack in the Box and Dad bought some food (Just for him -- I wasn't hungry -- I am now though) -- then he drove back home. He ate, I gave him the new Mad magazine, he shook my hand and left -- I'll be gone for a couple of months maybe. He's gonna send me my boots that he bought at Aeronurotic -- they haven't come yet. --

So I know how to play poker, and drive a stick. Swell. I'm all set. Still, I'd rather do it [travel away from home] surreptitiously like last time. I'm getting too much attention. --

8:30 PM
Drove to The Peddler's to buy Mom & Me food. Then we played a couple games of chess, she won one, I won the other. Jain [my mother's sister] called Mom -- she said Jim said I looked exactly like Robert Redford. How about that? That's what I thought too. WATCHED "THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING" TONIGHT.
Promotional Film Poster, 1966

$20.70 Federal
$8.80 State
= $29.50
That's all I got from my Income Tax Return

[Side note] This is The Year of the Flood -- An event of such magnitude, it occurs only once every 500 years -- First Rapid City, then Sacramento, now Pennsylvania and the East -- Glug, glug

No comments: