Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Jun 05 - The Probability Man

Monday, June 5, 1972 - Page 157
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

3:06:35 PM
This is Monday. I got up at 11:30, took a bath (during which Mom called to tell me to get the steak out of the freezer), and played chess with myself. I lost. Mayor Sam [Yorty] got out of the California primary, so he's not gonna run for Pres after all. Poor guy. It was a bright sunny day, but it is now hot and over cast. Tis now 3:10:05 P.M. That's all for now.

4:30 PM
A few drops have begun to precipitate at this moment. I am now on page 145 of Man's Rise To Civilization As Shown By The Indians Of North America From Primeval Times To The Coming Of The Industrial State, and I'm still on page 140 of "The Other," and I've begun to read one of the six paperbacks Dad gave me Friday -- The Probability Man, which I am now on page 37 in. It is sprinkling mildly outside now, and it is doubtful whether it will really rain. We shall see. --
In this Frank Kelly Freas painting, the Devil looks a lot like my father...
Here's dad who I sometimes called "Lucifer," a dumb nickname based on his name "Lu"
6:30 PM
The rain hasn't materialized and it prob'ly won't. Mom got home a quarter to five and made dinner which I've just finished and left at 6:15 [She played Bridge every Monday]. Chunk just called and asked if I wanted to work, so tomorrow he's coming to pick me up at a quarter after six. He and me will be working at landscaping. Ohhh, groan. Pshaw. Ugh. I don' wanna work. Ohhh. $2.50 an hour. Hmmm. [U.S. minimum wage was $1.60 from 1968 until 1973]

(2:16:16 AM 6/6/1972)
I went to sleep at 8:00 and woke up at about 1:00 A.M. when mom got home. In "The Probability Man" by Brian N. Ball ('In a thousand worlds and a myriad of epochs, he always remained... the probability man') I'm on page 42. In "The Other" by Thomas Tryon ('You have never read a novel like this one -- Six months on the New York Times Best Seller List) I'm on page 155. In "Man's Rise To Civilization As Shown By The Indians Of North America From Primeval Times To The Coming Of The Industrial State" by Peter Farb ('An adventure in ideas - Probably the best single book on the American Indian ever written') I'm on page 169. The first book has 175 pages, second has 288, and "Man's Rise To Civilization, Etc." (That's the title on the spine) has 350 pages. Tis now 2:27:27. I have to make lunch for me tomorrow ---

No comments: