Monday, June 10, 2013

Jun 10 - Black Hills flood kills 238**

Saturday, June 10, 1972 - Page 162
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

12:00 PM
I got up today at 10:44 after getting to sleep at around 11:00 P.M. My feet still hurt, especially the right one which I must've sprained. I'm using Vitamin-E [lotion] on my sores to get them fixed before next Monday. I read the Other again today -- am now on 271.
(10:30 AM 6/11/1972)
Mom & I went to the Lincoln drive-in today to see "Play It Again Sam," and "The Honkers." We left at five thirty so I read the rest of "The Other," so now all I have left to read is "The Probability Man," and "Man's Rise To Civilization, etc." --

Today or late yesterday Rapid City and surrounding areas got clobbered with heavy rains, a busted dam, and flashfloods. Last I heard, 155 people had died and $100,000 damage had been estimated, but both figures should rise considerably. It's a Federal Disaster Area. I knew a few people in Rapid City, and Spearfish. Fr. Gil must be pretty busy, with all those dead folks around. [See Father Gilbert's report on the flood in the entry for June 27, 1972]

From Wikipedia: During the night of June 9, the Canyon Lake Dam became clogged with debris and failed, resulting in 238 deaths and 3,057 injuries. Several bodies were never found. There were over 1,335 homes and 5,000 automobiles destroyed. The value of the damaged property was over US$160 million in 1972 dollars.

Today, by the way, a sculpture came of a ballerina [purchased by Mom]. It's fairly good. That was the mail for today. And I first noticed that Liz the lizard is gone. The elements have been pushing her farther and further away, until she is now out of site. She should turn up some day, if I look for her.

No comments: