Saturday, June 22, 2013

Jun 22 - PHOTOS: The Galleon Yearbook***

Thursday, June 22, 1972 - Page 174
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California
 
The Galleon 1972 Newport Harbor High School Yearbook -- 9" wide x 12" high - 240 pages
(2:00 PM 6/23/1972)
Busy busy busy. I got up at about 9:00. Mom came by with the car at 12:30, I drove her to work, went to the Coin-Op to get gas (tank was empty), then drove to Timothy's to get my annual finally -- I was the only one in the Senior class of '72 who wasn't wearing a jacket and tie. The picture of us overthrowing Tim was in it, on page 127 -- I think we overthrew him just before X-mas vacation. Tim wrote a long speech inside the front cover -- he was the only one to sign it.
Grady Lyda
Page 93
Tim Hourigan
Page 88

Grady (top right) and friends overthrowing Emperor Timothy
Page 127
I went from Tim's to a gas station to put in water (the car was overheating and acting funny) -- but it already had enough water, and the gage continued to register Hot. So to give the car a chance to calm down I went to get a haircut. Now I'm beautiful again. The car was still sick, so I just bought some stuff at Sav-on (film, notebooks, cartridges, Mad), then drove home to give Imperial a rest.

Am now on page 125 in the Prob. Man ("Now" is 2:09:16, Fri.). Went to get mom at 4:00, then we went to get my glasses from Silver, but they weren't ready yet (Humbug -- mom called him and they said we could pick them up) -- We left there, went to the Golden Chicken to buy food, then drove to Grant's where I bought a duffel bag -- cheaper than luggage. I forgot, between Sav-on, and going home, I put in my Amerco Ind check at Mariner's, so I now have $103.03. Did other stuff today, but that's enough said for now -- got to sleep at around 12:30 --- [continued in next entry - June 23]

Mary & Margo, the coolest teachers at Newport Harbor High (Their captions here are pretty amusing)
Page 27
Here is the Inside Front Cover with Tim's inscription (He didn't sign it, and neither did anybody else) It might be difficult to read so I will include his words below...
Grady -- Whatta coulda I tella you?!?

Four years in this dump & I'm finally free to go out into the world (OCC [Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, CA] for one year & then to UCLA.) Whether I'm a success or failure only time will tell. I don't really blame you for not attending Harbor too often... I know from my own experience that 85.06283% of what I've learned has been out of school.

I still don't know if I'll go to that science fiction deally as I'm flat broke -- I feel like Welfare Boy right now.

You should get Mary-Baby (Lyons) to sign your book fer yuz. She & I agreed that you'll get along quite well in the world of robots, man-eating critters & post-nasal drip (in other words, science fiction).

I feel most awkward as having been the only one to sign your year-book so far...

I guess I'll sign off for now & wish you the traditional success, best wishes, luck, you-name-it, etc.


From the God of
Procrastination,
Humor,
Satire
&
Grossness

to the


God of:
Logic,
Witticisms,
Little Known Facts
&
Vocabulary which
doth us floor...

FARE THEE
WELL 'TIL
WE MEET
ANEW... ..


LATIN CLUB with Tim Hourigan (foot on head at left)
Page 233
More photos from The Galleon 1972 can be found in these earlier entries:

Jan 24 - "You hit my car..."
James Fish
Pamela Grau

Jan 26 - Matt will continue high school
Drama Club with Matt Gold

Feb 01 - Revisiting Harbor High
Loren Dake

Feb 29 - A discouraging Leap Day
Student crowd
Shawna Wood

Mar 01 - Just tipsy...
Campus crowd

Mar 10 - A visit to Harbor High
Masses of students

Jun 11 - A frantic maritime disaster
Newport Harbor band in Tournament of Roses 

No comments: