Sunday, June 9, 2013

Jun 09 - Job Day 4 - Digging holes, planting plants

Friday, June 9, 1972 - Page 161
LOCATION: Oxnard & Anaheim & Newport Beach, California

(12:00 PM Saturday 6/10/1972)
Woke up with the ringing of the phone -- again, I only allowed it one ring, but I wasn't conscious enough to recall what the guy said. I was last to get up, as usual -- the pecking order seems to have been tentatively established from oldest to youngest. Et breakfast, talked, limped and ached and got to work at 7:00, running into Fernando driving his car into the parking lot.

Chunk & I got saw dust and I wheelbarrowed it to him, and he scattered it in the pool area. Me, Chunk, John, Frank, Bob (or Rego), Fernando, and, at 11:00, Rick showed up -- and we all worked, digging holes and planting plants. The food truck was an hour late for the first break, coming at 10:15 instead of 9:15. At lunch, Frank and I played a game of chess with a chess set he'd brought. He's a lousy player, but he beat me. I can't adapt to new chess sets very easily. Any way, now we're even. Next week we'll have a tie-breaker.

The day finally ended at 2:30, and we all were gone by three o'clock, and back home (or rather back at the yard) by 4:45. A note on the door sent us looking at a nearby shopping center for his [John's] wife, who had the money. We couldn't find her, so we came back to the yard and found her waiting for us. She had arrived at 5:00, and we had gone out to find her at 5:00, so we narrowly missed each other. She's a pretty humorous gal who doesn't wear a bra (Rah!).

John is burned up about Jerry. We got paid and Mom arrived. I saw Part II [of Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man], and John called, saying he'd underpaid me one dollar an hour. I got $32, was supposed to get $48. Jordan came by at 10:00. FOR THE LAST TIME, IT TURNED OUT.

No comments: