Sunday, June 30, 2013

Jun 30 - Flood cleanup in Rapid**

Friday, June 30, 1972 - Page 182
LOCATION: Newport Beach to LAX for flight to Salt Lake City, then on to Rapid City to arrive in Bethlehem, South Dakota
Photo of original pages in Grady Lyda's "Appointments 1972" for June 30 & July 1
A whole big mess of too many words...
JUNE 30, 1972 WAS THE LONGEST MEASURED DAY IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND ---

8:30 PM
At the moment I am sitting atop a bunk in the Retreat house in S.D. so this journal -- (I took about an hour break there, losing another game of chess and talking to Clint bout L.A., S.F., jail, landscaping, etc.) is once again out on a trip. It started out Friday morn -- Thursday nite I packed my duffle bag (so heavy I could barely lift it -- Mom found out the airlines wouldn't take baggage over 40 lbs.) (There again -- I (busybusybusy) was gone for an hour--) Never mind all that -- I woke up with the alarm at 5:00 -- So did Mom. We left by six and the traffic was heavy. I got there at LAX at around 7:30 -- Mom of course was late for work (Another delay -- Took time out to win three chess games). (Another delay -- Took time out to win another game of chess --)

(Monday night 7/3/1972)
NOW! It is 11:41 P.M. 7/3/72 --- NO -- NOW it is 15 to 12:00 -- Talked with Clint again -- he got back from cave crawling. Okay, I'm gonna finish this now, and I'll have to shave plenty to make it fit. I gave my duffle bag to the baggage guys and left quickly before they could tell me it was too heavy. I got my ticket and boarded okay -- I have a window seat but three girls wanted to stay together, so I gave them my place, finding an aisle seat beside a fat aging business man. He was reading a newspaper, and I asked him if he was going to look out the window much. He said YES, tersely. That's all he said during the whole trip. Most of the hour and 20 minutes of the flight he spent sleeping, snoring, hacking and drooling over himself. Breakfast was served on that flight -- we landed in Salt Lake City, and I then boarded the second flight to Rapid and St. Paul.

(Tis now quarter to 1:00 A.M. -- Another delay while Mike and Mike came in for awhile.) I got into the plane late due to a misunderstanding so I could only find an aisle seat beside two guys. They were friendly, being from California, departing from SFX to Bismark, N.D. They were over forty and enjoying the hell out of their flight. I was on Western Airlines (the Champagne Airline) so I had 3 or 4 glasses of free champagne. Flew over Mt. Rushmore, but it was on the wrong side so I got only a glimpse.

Landed in Rapid at 11:55 (flying over the Black Hills, you could tell they'd had a flood, it looked like they had lots of lakes down there), and Tom was there to meet me, along with a guy named Ben (Gentle Ben, a huge fellow reminiscent of Little John, of the Merry Men). It was in the upper 70°s with more or less clear skies. We drove in the Econoline van thru Rapid, stopped at a McDonald's where Ben bought food, and then we drove to a house they were working on -- There we found Greg, Bruce, and Mike (Freak -- Not Mike National Guard or Mike Youngster -- I don't know the last names). They filed in and we drove back to the McDonald's to eat lunch. After which, we dropped Ben off to hitch into town, then to go back to the house. The house was a two story structure which had a creek behind it -- resultantly (I've decided to stop writing for tonight -- to be continued --- 1:02 A.M.)

(Tuesday morning 7/4/1972)
Now it's 11:00 A.M., 4 of July, and I'm going to catch up -- resultantly, water from the flood brought several inches of mud into the first floor, and the water line inside was neck high. The occupants evacuated just in time and most of the personal possessions were gone. A two story house next door was up against the Becker's house (the one we were working on), having been washed 20 or 30 feet. Mike Freak and Greg worked on one part of the house shoveling mud, and Me, Bruce King and Tom Hildebrand shoveled mud in the bedroom downstairs -- or maybe it was the living room. Alternately we manned the wheelbarrow, dumping the mud in a ditch outside. Mike and Greg left to look for food as we three finished with the mud. Then we tore up the carpet to throw it outside, but it was too heavy -- so we tore a hole in the wall with great difficulty, and at the expense of a rake which I was swinging at the wall to break it open -- the handle broke.

Eventually, we rolled the carpet out, and Mike and Greg returned with soft drinks and snacks from a Salvation Army truck. Ben arrived with Leslie (a girl -- you might have guessed). We were through for the time being, so Tom, Greg and I went out in the van to get some stuff for Bethlehem. We finished with that, returned to Becker's and got everything (Leslie tho had left by then). We all drove back to Bethlehem, and I ate dinner which was about 7:00, and then went to the retreat house where my bunk was, in a room containing Mike Freak and Bruce King. I got to sleep at around 7:30, and slept through to 7:30 the next day.

[Side note] Friday was sunny to start with, but as we were working at Becker's, it rained hard with thunder and pea-sized hail -- It quit after an hour or so. It didn't rain at all at Beth we were told.

TOMORROW: I will begin foretelling the future by announcing the next entry

No comments: