Thursday, June 13, 2013

Jun 13 - Job Day 6 - Our motley cast of characters

Tuesday, June 13, 1972 - Page 165
LOCATION: Oxnard, California

(6:44 PM 6/18/1972)
Strange, because I was youngest, but being Chunk's brother, I was second in command when he wasn't available. So I had to figure out things. -- I gotta stop right now. Dad & Larry have just arrived (6:53:53 P.M., Sunday, June 18, 72).

I'm back (7:00:59). It's too chaotic down there, with several conversations going at once. -- Anyway, Rick came by sometime Monday, and we dug holes all day. Chunk & I played chess, and Rick got bored, so we decided to go home Wednesday. Tuesday started early, as usually. We worked that day planting plants and digging more holes. Some time during the week, Frank and I played a couple more games of chess. I beat him on the first one, making it 3 to 2, my favor -- and losing to him the second time, betting a quarter which I lost, and making it a tie which is the current status of the tournaments.

Frank is unmarried, but he has a permanent girlfriend. He's about 28 and was a helicopter gunner in Vietnam 4 or 5 years ago. Bob (or Rego) Costellano, his brother, is crazy, 24, married with three kids, and was also in Vietnam a while back. Rick is 18, has been married for three months, and has a one-month-old kid. Fernando is 56, part Indian I guess, married with 2 or 3 old kids, and a member of the Union, as are Frank and Rego.

Jerry called Chunk, usually everyday at 5:30, and we were able to charge to meals at the Colony Kitchen next to the Vagabond. I don't know if this extra responsibility by Jerry is the result of John's disenchantment with his methods, but chances are John had something to do with it.

No comments: