Thursday, January 17, 2013

Jan 17 - Lame jokes & newer plans

Monday, January 17, 1972
LOCATION: Bethlehem, South Dakota

3:00 PM
This is our last day here. Matt talked with his parents last night: A friend of Jack's will fly here in the morning, Matt & I will drive to the airport, and the three of us will go back. I'm spending the day packing, and Matt's recording some records before we disassemble the stereo.

The characters here have been: Fr. Gilbert Stack, Tom Hildebrand, Wheezie (Steve Minor), Keith Koball, Brad, Dotty, Dorothy, Pearce, Mrs. Rogers, Swede, and Phil (who is now in Rapid City visiting friends for a while). Matt vacuumed Storms (the Stereo Cabin), and I put away the chairs in the main room of the retreat house, which had been put there for the big meeting a few days ago.

We've been talking alot at dinner -- last night during a conversation somebody asked what's black and white and red all over. I said, of course, a pregnant nun, and Fr. Gil chuckled uncontrollably for a few moments. Today I suggested (while reaching for a fried egg) that eggs are the largest single cell in existence (it's not true, and everybody knows that, but that's what my physiology teacher said once) and that started a big discussion on physics, surface tension, calculus, tetrahedrons, pi and various other odd things, most of which were brought up by Gil, and explained. He's bright and he lets everyone know it.

8:30 PM
Matt came in -- "Ta da!" I exclaimed upon his entrance. The stereo was blaring, and I said, "Are we packing that tonight or tomorrow morning?" -- "Huh?" he said. "Have you called your parents yet?" -- "What?" -- "When are we leaving tomorrow?" -- "I... better call," he answered, moving for the door. "Mayhaps you ought," I replied -- "What?" he said, opening the door. "Mayhaps you ought," I repeated more clearly. "Huh?" he asked, and I repeated again. "Oh," he said going out the door. -- "I wax poetic in my phrase," I explained. "I wax deaf in my ears," he finished. Then I turned the stereo off. 

No comments: