Monday, January 7, 2013

Jan 07 - Cop stop in Custer, South Dakota

Friday, January 7, 1972
LOCATION: Cheyenne, Wyoming; Custer & Rapid City, South Dakota

Matt and I slept last night in the car. I slept while Matt drove, and we stopped in Little America, Cheyenne, at 10:30 A.M. to eat. Presently, we're stopping at an exit to hook up Matt's stereo speakers to the radio.

So, with A.M. music blaring at us from behind, Matt drove on. He kept going until somewhere around seven, then I drove all the way to Rapid City. There were several interruptions however.

As I was driving thru Custer, South Dakota, I supposedly drove thru a red light (though I still don't remember it), and at 8:15 P.M. I was stopped by a policeman. It was a two dollar fine which I promptly paid, and he radioed in my name and license number -- I was summarily cleared and allowed to go. Matt was ecstatic that we weren't in trouble.

Travelling on highway 16 was rather interesting, since we were extremely low on gas, and the road was dark, deserted, narrow, windy and long. To save gas we coasted in neutral when we were going downhill, and we went through a few narrow tunnels. Finally we made it to Rapid City, filled up the tank, drove the wrong way on a one way street, bought food at a Colonel Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken place, got a motel, watched T.V., and ate. We also found out we had a flat tire.

[A $2.00 traffic fine! Are you kidding me? Here's the proof.]

No comments: