Sunday, January 13, 2013

Jan 13 - Letters and calls from home

Thursday, January 13, 1972
LOCATION: Bethlehem & Rapid City, South Dakota

9:30 AM
It's 18° below zero out there and the wind is blowing pretty hard. We'll be leaving for Rapid soon with Wheeze. I got up at nine after going to sleep at around 2:30. I got a letter from Mom along with Sue & Peggy's letters [friends in Chicago], and another on from G. Dot [Grandma Dot: maternal grandmother Dorothea Scheneman].

Last night at about 11:00, Tom came into the bunk cabin and said Father wanted to see me, so I went up to the house. He said Dad had called and wanted Gil to call back collect, so I put in the phone call and he talked with him a while. Matt's parents got the number, and they were going to call within the next hour, so I went to the stereo cabin to get Matt up. Nothing too new came from the conversations -- just a better understanding of the situation involved. Things'll be cleared in a month.

3:30 PM
Left for Rapid at 11:00 AM and got back at 3:00. Went to South Dakota Tech so Wheez could make a phone call. They have a good museum there with dinosaur fossils. Bought my glasses, so I can see clearly now -- not yellowly [previous prescription lenses had a yellow tint]. Wheez did lots of shopping for Bethlehem (bread, paper, cups, milk, etc.).


In Rapid it was 11° below zero. We ate lunch at McDonald's, now I'm going to take a shower if there's any hot water around.

10:00 AM, Friday
I washed my face at the retreat house and spent the rest of the day being lazy. The stereo cabin was so cold we all wore our jackets to listen to the stereo, but after dinner we deserted the place. Matt for the first time slept in the bunk cabin after failing to repair a couple of heaters in the stereo cabin.

It's getting a bit chilly

No comments: