Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Jan 08 - Lost on the way to Bethlehem, SD

Saturday, January 8, 1972
LOCATION: Rapid City, Spearfish & Bethlehem, South Dakota

Got up at 9:30, walked to a nearby gas station to get the tire fixed, and repaired the spare. Before we left I bought gloves and a gas can. We also got some oil for the car. Matt drove first, then after about half an hour I took over because we were getting closer to Bethlehem, South Dakota. The weather was coldest its been since we started.

I passed the turn off to Bethlehem the first time, and went straight to Spearfish, where I patronized a local phonebooth, checked the phonebook, and called Geri's home. It turned out that she left last Wednesday on a plane to go to Langdon, Utah, for college. Oh well...

Anyway, we reversed our position and headed back for Bethlehem. I took a turnoff which I thought would take us where we wanted to go, and the road got very icy, so we put the chains on with a great deal of difficulty (one of the chains didn't fit one of the tires because one of the tires was the wrong size -- that happened when we changed the flat).

I noted my mistake in turning where I did, and we got back on the highway -- took off the damned chains -- and hunted for the Bethlehem turn off. We eventually found it, went up the treacherous winding road (put the chains back on), drove at 5 miles an hour, and got to the Shrine of the Nativity in Bethlehem, S.D.

Hallelujah!

No comments: