Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Jan 16 - Warm weather, new plans

Sunday, January 16, 1972
LOCATION: Bethlehem, South Dakota

TOMMY 1969 The Who
1:30 PM
Last night after Matt left, Keith & Wheez came to the stereo cabin to play cards. I played some records, then I put on "Tommy," which I'd never heard before. Keith & Wheez left at about two, and I listened to TOMMY till 3:30. I went outside and saw three deer -- one of them walked to the block of salt to lick it. I watched them for about ten minutes -- they ran away and I went to bed.

I got up around 11:30. It's 56° now, and the snow is turning to mud. I ate the last icicle -- the rest of them have gone to greener pastures. The roofs are dripping, and we're leaving the doors of the cabin open for fresh air.

I called mom and dad, and now things are like this: Jack's flying up here no matter what, and Matt and I will drive back to California with him -- Jack will pay back the $40 to Gil, and finance the trip back. He's supposed to be here Tuesday. It's all over. It was a hollow victory, but a victory nevertheless. The problem is I'm not sure I was fighting for anything. More good has come out of this than bad, so I guess I spent my money wisely.

(3:00 PM 1/17/72)
Sunday is a day of rest, and that's what everybody did. Brad went walking for a few hours -- the sky was clear and the weather warm. Keith layed around playing his mandolin. A few tourists came and Wheezie took them thru the cave. We all watched "In Harm's Way" in Storms [the Stereo Cabin] till 1:00. Finally got to sleep at about 2:30 or 3:00.

No comments: