Saturday, November 2, 2013

Nov 02 - Grandma teaches me to give her injections

Thursday, November 2, 1972 - Page 307
LOCATION: Newport Beach, Santa Ana, Anaheim

10:21:15 PM
Mike rang at 8:45, saying Gramma Dot had called and would be there in a half hour. Mom had told me she was taking Latril (I don't think that's the right spelling ["Laetrile" (AKA amygdalin or vitamin B17was -- and, in 2013, still IS -- a controversial unauthorized cancer treatment (because, since it comes from hundreds of common plants such as apricots, peaches, and almonds, the Pharmaceutical Industry can't extract huge profits from it) that my grandmother discretely obtained in Mexico (wikipedia info). Oh, BTW, Grandma Dorothea Wilimovsky-Scheneman was a highly knowledgeable private-care nurse for many decades and whatever illegal methods she employed to forestall her personal onset of cancer were quite effective -- she stubbornly lived on quite happily until she finally gave up the ghost on May 11, 1987 at age 88] ) and since doctors won't give it in the U.S. she needed someone to give her the injections -- Mike & Lara were close by so she could come to them for the shots. But neither of them were unemotional enough to manage it, so I was elected. I finally woke up at 9:30, and since the three rooms were finished (I painted the bathrooms and set them up again yesterday), I worked on the pool, cleaning the tiles above the water line.

Grandma Dot at the Tijuana Cancer Treatment Clinic
Dot came by at around 10:00 (not exactly a 1/2 hour), and I learned how to stick a needle in someone. I did it right, but her physiology didn't fit the needle holes -- I tried half a dozen times, and she tried it herself two or three times, but neither of us could get the needle in an artery long enough to inject the Latril. She was pretty perforated by the time we gave up. Veins get a tendency to roll when a person's age advances, so they must've just rolled away from the needle. It was fun tho -- Mike made sure to stay in the lobby until we quit the bloody procedures, and Laramée kept her back turned and worked on letters -- we were in the office at the time. None the less for wear, she left and I got back to work.

I started some detail work in the next three rooms that Mary had torn down yesterday. I quit at 4:30 and got the bus. Arrived at the Arches at 6:15 & mom picked me up. I took a much needed bath an hour ago, and I'm on page 288 in the Magus but I'll get further before I go to sleep. I disconnected the horn in the car to make sure it wouldn't try any funny stuff. Mom cashed my check yesterday. FINIS.

TOMORROW: Cal State Fullerton textbooks

No comments: