Thursday, November 14, 2013

Nov 14 - News from Chicago's Sue Latka

Tuesday, November 14, 1972 - Page 319
LOCATION: Newport Beach, Santa Ana, Anaheim
8:30 PM
Got the 7:00 A.M. bus. It started raining at about 6:45. Got to work at 8:45 and spent most of the day painting. It rained pretty good until about 3:00 or 2:00, then I replaced a couple of light bulbs which required the use of a looong aluminum ladder. Ken was there training after about 3:00. I got to page 62 in "2250." Got off work at 5:00, got home at 6:45.

I got a letter from Sue (she calls herself "Rusty" now) and she sent copies of some pictures. I'll mention their location in this book after I find a place for them. Had some broiled steaks for dinner. I'm still on one meal a day on weekdays. Mike got the Chevy Impala sold so I won't be stuck with having to buy it. That's good & bad -- good cause I'll have more money, but bad cause I won't have any transportation to go East in. I guess I'll hop a freight. No pro'lem.

From Sue's letter it seems she's getting sweet again -- Mark got dragged into the army, so she's not stuck with him anymore. So mayhaps on my way east I'll stop off in Chicago. The picture hereto attached was taken inside Bethlehem Cave, in the Shrine of the Watchacallit.

That's Bruce's hardhat, those are my hands, and Mike took the shot. I'm not bothering to track down the exact date, but it should be easy to find -- Around July 18, 19 or 20 [it was July 18], the time the Latka's got the tour. I watched the regular shows tonight -- "I've got a Secret," and "Maude." Nothing else good was on.

TODAY's NEWS: The Dow-Jones Average
In all its years of fluctuations, the New York Stock Exchange ticker showing the Dow-Jones industrial averages had never ever closed higher than 1000. But on November 14, 1972, the D-J average did it, finishing up the day just over the 1000 mark -- LIFE magazine, December 1972


TOMORROW: Movieland Wax Museum

No comments: