Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Apr 09 - Exploring Upper Newport Bay

Sunday, April 9, 1972 - Page 100
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

8:00 PM
I got up today about 11:00. Mom did a lot of work on the vacant room today, so she can sleep in it tonight. At one o'clock I went out in the kayak, and the bay was beset with the most traffic I've seen, today being Sunday with a fair sky. There was one gull still pecking at the fish I offered Friday, and a couple were standing by. I checked a map and found out that the bay ("Newport Bay," technically) is about 3 and a half miles long.


Today the tide was down as low as I've ever seen it, giving "Upper Newport Bay" an odd topography. The Shoal sign seen on page 80 [March 20] was on dry land, and only one main trench carried water past the ski area. I followed it and a narrow branch for a few hundred yards, occasionally sinking thigh deep in quick sand, pulling myself out with the kayak, and finally coming upon firm water-covered sand where I put the boat on a bank and sunned & read "I Sing the Body Eccentric" until I discovered a form of wild life I'd been overlooking. Tiny coelenterates (I think) about 2 centimeters long embedded in the mud, feeding on organisms in the water. I experimented with the tubular little plant-animals for a while, then the tide rose and covered the mud with water, and I paddled home. Returned at 5:30 and took a bath. I am now quite red and itchy from sun burn. At least I'm some color. Tis now 8:10:35 P.M. FINIS

[BELOW: These pictures are attached to the back of the map on this page]
Photos of a couple of the more interesting portions of Newport Bay.
These pics are actually from exhibits at the
Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago,
which Grady will visit later in 1972

No comments: