Thursday, April 4, 2013

Apr 04 - Moira-Quest submissions**

Tuesday, April 4, 1972 - Page 95
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

9:00 PM
Today I typed a fresh copy of Moira-Quest, after changing a few of the more awkward sentences. The original M-Q, sent to Galaxy, was probably lost in transit, considering the fact that they (the envelope & return envelope) had only 6¢ postage each. I'll send this one to F&SF, and when I get it back, I'll send it out again with the medieval illustration [Flammarion engraving] of the traveler poking his head out of the bubble of Earth's atmosphere to view the universal mechanics outside. F&SF doesn't accept illustrations, so I needn't bother them. It took me all day to type the thing, so I din't do anything else today.

Moira-Quest went thru many incarnations. Ultimately, I illustrated the story and
it was published in Star*Reach magazine as Out of Space ● Out of Time.
I carefully revised it later, adding color and Photoshop enhancements.
A year ago, on Apr. 4, 1971 (Sunday), we were in Huron, Kansas in an ancient house with ancient people. We arrived there on the 3rd, at 5:30 p.m. The place was about a century old, like some place a president would be born in, and Aunt Ellie is not much younger [this was the hometown of my Great Grandmother Brazzel]. Now, I think I heard they put the old fossil away some place -- the house was too dangerous for her to be living in alone. She had been Jack Perdue's responsibility, and he finally got her put away. Also on the 4th, we drove to Kansas City, Missouri to see old relatives of Dot's -- Annie Brazzel, Mary Brazzel, Gladys, Elizabeth, a whole flock of hicks. Twas an interesting experience I could have done without. 9:13:57 P.M. Fini

( INCIDENTALLY -- LARRY'S MOTHER DIED LAST TUESDAY --------- )

[For another entry about this story, go to Feb 15 - "The grate science-friction righter"]

No comments: