Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Apr 10 - Responses to magazine submissions

Monday, April 10, 1972 - Page 101
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

12:00 PM
This morning at about a quarter to six, Mom got me to take one dead gnawed gopher from her room, and one tuckered out live one. Taco has been busy. Yesterday, before I went kayaking, I tried to get a big lizard out from under the couch, but I only managed to retain about an inch of its tail, and it ran further under the couch, so I gave up. I rewoke up today at a quarter to noon and got the mail, which consisted of a reminder from Shrine of the Nativity to tell them you can afford to go on their June trip to Spain & Italy; an answer from Jack & Jill; and the rejection of "Moira-Quest" by Galaxy.

J&J just mailed me their "Editorial Needs and Requirements," saying at the bottom in handwriting: Please send 50¢ in cash for a copy of magazine. They kept my envelope and stamp.

Editorial Acknowledgement Thus Far
Cavalcade -- Query -- Response: 8 days
Read -- Query -- Response: 9 days
F&SF -- Manuscript, 750 words -- Response: 10 days
J&J -- Query -- Response: 12 days
Analog -- 750-words manuscript -- Response: 16 days
Galaxy -- 3,500-words manuscript -- Response: 41 days

[TIME-JUMP INTO THE PAST: News from this day in 1971]
(Year ago this date: Went on Gray Line Tour of NY, went to Empire State Building -- arrived in NY Apr 9, 1971 -- Easter Sunday came on Apr 11, 1971)
1:02:40 AM
Tried to get my room cleaned up but didn't get too far. Mom left for bridge at about 6:15, the Academy Awards came on at 7:00, Mike came over at 7:15, and I had to go with him to see Dad (he didn't know where he lived), so he and me went to visit Lucifer [Grady's dumb nickname for his father, Lu Lyda] in Mike's new Plymouth Duster that he bought Saturday for $3000, and which we will drive to Las Vegas in. We chatted with Dad, Mike got to see his apartment, Dad drove around in the Duster, but still liked his Audie, but said it's the kind of car a girlfriend of his wants, so he wanted to borrow it, but Mike was pretty selfish and wants to keep it for himself.

At about 8:30 P.M. we left Dad's and Mike drove me back to Eye Sore Park, and I saw the end of the Academy Awards (which ended at 9:30) and The French Connection got awards for Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Picture -- I, in my wisdom, saw the picture twice (see page 5 [January 5] for verification -- the second time I saw it I paid for it myself. Ugh). I washed the dishes during the Academy Awards, and the Bob Hope special, and Rowan & Martin's Laughin, and the Dick Cavett Show. Mom got home at about 10 to one a.m. Is now 1:14:53 A.M.----- FINIS



[The biggest movie of 1972 was The Godfather, released in the US on March 15, and in 1973 it won Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor (Brando), and Best Adapted Screenplay]

No comments: