Friday, October 18, 2013

Oct 18 - Called in sick, Chuck teaches me blackjack

Wednesday, October 18, 1972 - Page 292
LOCATION: Newport Beach

10:30 PM
The way I wake up for work is this -- I set the alarm for 5:30 (that's the time when Lohman & Barkley come on -- but I usually don't have the energy to turn them on) -- when it goes off I reset it for 6:00, then sleep, and set it for 6:30 when it goes off, and get up finally at 6:30 to get the 7:00 bus. But today I missed the 7:00 alarm so set it for 7:30 so I could get ready for the bus at 8:00. Missed the one at 8:00 tho, so crawled out of bed and called Laramée at 8:30, saying I was sick. Then I slept till 1:30.

It has rained intermittently (it's raining now) -- once in the evening it rained so damned hard it felt like a monsoon -- solid water in the air. Anyway, I did the dishes in a few hours. A prize-winning Czechoslovakian kayaker appeared at about 9:45 (Chunk was gonna go paddling with him). Chunk wasn't here so I called his home but he wasn't there -- Joe went to wait by the bay. Chunk showed up here a few minutes later and went out for him and they paddled. About 7:00 they returned (it was raining then). He left his C2 here (downriver racer) -- Chunk stayed to eat our food and watch the end of "Godzilla vs. The Seamonster," and "the Paul Lynde Show."

Then we played poker and I learned to play black jack. I beat them both at black jack. Chunk left around 9:30. Mom and I played till 10:00 (when she lost all her chips). I'm on 112 in Ray's book and I sewed my backrest and am going to sew my pants. I've got a lot of work to do tomorrow.

TOMORROW: Lots of Nu Navaho Flat White

No comments: