Thursday, October 17, 2013

Oct 17 - Dealing a Clockwork Orange***

Tuesday, October 17, 1972 - Page 291
LOCATION: Newport Beach, Anaheim

(1:00 AM 10/18/1972)
Got the 7:00 A.M. bus. Work today was repair of hardware, a little detail painting, and I organized the tool cart. Mark & Mary worked today. Linda is no longer with us -- she had a kidney problem and can't work, so Mike's hunting for another maid. Mike & I back-flushed the pool today. I got up to page 103 in "S.W.T.W.C." [Something Wicked This Way Comes]

Took the bus back from 10 to 5. Got into Santa Ana about 5:20. OCTD bus appeared 6:00. Got home around 7:00. Murray called and asked if I wanted to see Clockwork Orange. Later Chunk & He came by in his cruddy old station wagon and drove to the Peddler fish 'n chips place where I had my only meal of the day -- a BarBQue sandwich, a Turkey Sandwich & potato salad. Then we drove toward the movie at Fashion Island, but his car died about a mile from it. Our attempts to revive it were in vain despite the fact we took it to a gas station. (It died at a corner where there was a Shell & a Standard. We had to push it across the street to the Shell. They couldn't get it going.) So we left it there and ran to the theatre, getting there in about 7 minutes. We were late but not too late.
1971 Theatrical Release Poster
When I saw this Stanley Kubrick film in 1972 it was Rated X, but this verdict was appealed and it was revised to an R rating.
Watched Clockwork Orange and the second picture, "Dealing" (which I'd seen about half a year ago, it's pro'ly noted in this book somewhere), and it was all over at 12:30.

[I first saw "Dealing" on May 12, 1972, but I could not remember this film & found no record of it online... I just checked again and discovered this Wikipedia info -- "Dealing: Or the Berkeley-to-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Bag Blues" is an adaptation of a Michael Crichton novel co-written with his brother Douglas. It starred Barbara Hershey and featured John Lithgow as a supporting character in his first film role. I still have no memory of it even tho I saw it twice. Below is a photo from IMDb.]
This memorable 1972 comedy/drama/thriller was a marijuana caper flick
Walked back to the Shell station and Murray's car started fine. He drove me home & I gave Chunk 40 for the motorcycle which he's gotta get into running condition. Tha's all. ---


Malcolm McDowell discusses the movie on the occasion of its 40th Anniversary

TOMORROW: Called in sick, Chuck teaches me blackjack

No comments: