Monday, March 11, 2013

Mar 11 - Controversial rules at high school**

Saturday, March 11, 1972 - Page 71
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

9:48 PM
Didn't do anything today. Just some cursory information gathering and notes. Read a Zelazny story (65 pages: The Graveyard Heart) -- he's some writer. Which reminds me -- I first heard of him in this note ↑ from an editor of Galaxy, circa sixty-nine, methinks, when I sent in the second story I'd ever written -- "Discs of Tumarcus." [There is old tape at the top of this page, but the Galaxy note is missing. I was grateful for the editor's encouraging message that said something like "Even Roger Zelazny had 200 stories rejected before he ever sold one."] Well, I'll be getting another such slip in a month or so -- wonder if they've stayed the same.

Watched a national Geo. special on the tube tonight about the rise and fall of Man. During which Shawna called for info on Jerry -- I could just give her Dave Olson's number. She's still active it seems. Heck, I saw her just yesterday. It's hard to keep track of time.

("Don't take rejections as necessarily meaning that you completely lack talent" -- words to live by. Thanks, Bob) [That was a portion of the Galaxy editor's message referred to above]


[The following entry appears on the back of a letter that is attached to this page. It is a March 8, 1972 announcement by Principal Charles E. Godshall.]

"organizing chaos"
Hi there. This is me, talking from 10:10 P.M., 3-11-72. I picked this thing up in School yesterday from the Beacon room. The new rules herein declaimed have been cause for much controversy at Harbor and have inspired adverse editorials. Tim Hourigan drew a cartoon for the Beacon that depicted Mr. Godshant reading "Mein Kampf" and murmuring "very interesting..." Another cartoon was in the works which would show him suspended above the students godlike, issuing his decrees. Aw, come on now. I mean, really! As usual my own sentiments on the matter (actually I don't give a damn, but for the sake of pretension I seem to) are mixed, but I'm basically a conservative in Liberal disguise. Of course, it doesn't matter to me at all since I no longer attend, yet I can still be bemused by it. Practically all my "friends" will be affected by this latest attempt at organizing chaos. They aren't too pleased.

"These misbehaviors will no longer be tolerated."
[To see a more readable high-resolution photo of this letter, please go here: New Rules]

12:00 AM
Just finished reading an Ellison story, dredged from his mind -- Ellison's Wonderland. "Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes" it was, with a plot not dissimilar to the old Creepy & Eerie yarns -- but it was well writ. I've gotta read more of his stuff. Favorite writers so far are Ellison, Zelazny, Sturgeon and Niven -- maybe in that order.   

No comments: