Friday, March 29, 2013

Mar 29 - Star Trek merchandise arrives***

Wednesday, March 29, 1972 - Page 89
LOCATION: Newport Beach, California

3:30 PM 3/29/72
ONLY THIS PAGE WILL HAVE TO SUPPORT MARCH 29, 30, & 31 IN THE INTEREST OF PRESERVING ONE SMALL PORTION OF THIS BOOK AS IT WAS BEFORE I MARRED ITS BEAUTIFUL BLANKNESS WITH MY THOUGHTS AND DEEDS. THAT'S CONSERVATION, BUBBY -- NEVER LET IT BE SAID OF ME THAT I NE-

Got up at noon thirty after going to sleep at six. This place has been invaded by tourists. I have no conception of the time changing outside Eyesore Park, but I'd guess we must be in the midst of a holiday of some sort (Easter pro'ly). Took a bath and got the mail and mailed my letters. All the mail was stuff for Mom, but one big envelope was for me -- the Star Trek stuff finally got here. It's about time. I sent for it  forty 5  days ago. I got the IDIC (Vulcan pendant) [Gene Roddenberry crassly inserted this item into a story -- Episode 60: "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" -- merely to have a Star Trek trinket to sell to people like me], the Enterprise charm (22 karat plated), USS Enterprise & Galileo plans, Enterprise & Kirk photos, Gold leatherette insignias (3), insignia decals (8), & seven packets of film clip frames (10 clips in each). RAH!
IDIC = Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
Dad & Larry came over today -- so Mom got a chance to smoke (Larry however doesn't smoke), and Dad brought a bunch of mail -- for me a couple magazines and the third volume in the TIME-LIFE Photography series. Larry has seen Silent Running. Larry gave Mom her sapeeny [subpoena], or whatever the heck it's called, for the divorce thing -- I guess a third person has to serve it. Dad gave Mom some money, gave me $5, took the typewriter, said he might get me a job at Aeroneurotic [Aeronutronic] for the summer, and the two guys left, after about an hour. I finished eating the Easter Rabbit. Washed the dishes, mounted the Star Trek film clips (72 of them). And closed this here entry for today -- 11:06:54 P.M. FINIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

4:00 PM 3/30/72
Last night at 1:30 A.M. I went for a walk on the hill overlooking the Bay. It was a full moon, and about 45°. I did some exercise, and returned home at 2:30. Got to sleep at six A.M. Got up at 10:45 AM. Went for the mail, and got a letter from Soozwol [Sue Latka]. She's getting pretty chummy. Spring has indeed sprung. I went kayaking (the beach was crawling with beautious bikinied gals - WOW!) and reached the fish infested waters of Back Bay. Left at noon thirty, just got back and Tacosumi (who is in heat) was here with another cat. The surprised beast ran into my bedroom and stationed itself in one corner of the window sill, displacing a couple of encyclopedias residing thereby. For the past ten minutes he's been there, nervously glancing at me, then out the window, and back again. Taco is resting on the floor, apparently concerned, but both of them seem to be calming down due to boredom. To be continued --

A couple minutes later: the Tom cat was relieved that I wasn't hostile. With difficulty, I removed him from behind the lamp and set him outside on top of the cabana roof through the open screenless window. Taco was slightly frantic and I set her beside him. She groaned a little at him. He left shortly -- In the mail there also came The Big Book of Astronomy that LIFE was pushing me to buy. I have it here, so I can find out what kind it is. -- Tis now 4:20:53 P.M.
Three whole days jammed onto one page
[The following note refers to the illustration shown above]
MULLET: The mullets are blunt-nosed, warm-water fishes of both Atlantic and Pacific. They are common in shallow water, where small schools may leap in unison when frightened. Mullets feed on aquatic plants and mud but they sometimes bite on doughballs. A good food fish, they are often netted and smoked. Of several species, the striped mullet is most common; it grows to 2 ft. Tis now 4:39:22 P.M., 3/30/72.

7:00 PM 3/31/72
Incidentally, I shaved my beard yesterday -- it was about four millimeters long. Today is technically good Friday, so things are closed and people are home. Mom didn't have to work today. I got up at quarter to eleven. Got the mail (Popular Photography among it). Found out Pennys was selling Polaroid cameras for 15 dollars with trade in of old polaroid. I went to the bank to withdraw some money but it had closed at noon. So I went to the stationery store and bought fifty envelopes, and fifty return envelopes.

At about 1:30 I went out in the kayak & paddled to back bay. Two fish smashed into the boat and one struck my right shoulder. I threw bread to the birds but they didn't want it. After four hours I paddled back home and returned by a quarter to six. I've gotta write a letter to Soozwol today sometime. Next week Mike & I are riding to Las Vegas on his new Kawasaki. Mom's gone now (7:05:00), out someplace with Lois. Barbara called her. Tomorrow Mom's going to King's for the races -- Chunk is in them -- and Murray is hitching a ride. Time now is 7:06:20. Fini.

No comments: