Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Jul 16 - Swimming holes in the wilderness

Sunday, July 16, 1972 - Page 198
LOCATION: Bethlehem, South Dakota

7:30 PM
I got up around 10:30. Just about everybody was at mass, so I wandered off on my own, in search of the legendary swimming hole everyone's been talking about. I walked to the creek barefooted over rough terrain. I'm trying to develop a thick sole on my feet so I can go barefoot painlessly. Ouch. I'm still working on it.

Anyway, I found Lion's Head where me, John & Bruce had been before, and I followed the creek to search for the other one, reputed to be a 12-foot deep pool with a diving rock. I came upon an adequate swimming area where I decided to stop. I call it White Stream because there's an area in the creek where the current is stronger creating a white streak. There was a pool about 6 feet deep, and I went swimming. My heart wasn't too content because the water was so cold, so I didn't swim long. I tanned most of the time. I tired of that soon and wandered off down the creek, tripping merrily over the stones barefooted.

I found the pool they were talking about. So I returned to White Stream and prepared to leave. Half way up the cliff I noticed several people going to Deep Drop (that name is tentative). They were Jim, Tim, Bruce, Mike, John and Greg. I joined them after a treacherous descent down the cliff. We left at 3:30 and went up to eat dinner. It was a fairly sunny day. -- Fr. Henry beat me in 3 games of chess today, they were good games tho.

9:00 PM
Mom called at 8:30. It may rain tonight -- clouds fill the sky thickly. (And I call myself a riter.)

TOMORROW: Pranking McGovern's Secret Service on my 18th Birthday

No comments: