Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Jul 03 - My useless dam project**

Monday, July 3, 1972 - Page 185
LOCATION: Bethlehem, South Dakota

(12:30 PM 7/4/1972)
Skipped breakfast and mass as usual, choosing to sleep late. Monday, Brad, me, and John had the duty of clearing the drains -- everyone else was appointed different duties. Mike F. left Monday, Ben had left Sunday. The population of this place fluctuates constantly.
Flyer promoting Bethlehem, South Dakota

After fixing the drains at the house and retreat house, we went about a mile and a quarter down the road to see what we could do about the stream that trickled across the road in two places. I decided we should build an earthen bank to keep the water out, but we'd need some plastic as a temporary dam. We walked back to Beth, just as it was beginning to rain.

The crew working on the sidewalk were about a quarter through with the sidewalk that would connect the Chapel with the retreat house. They put plastic over it to keep it dry, and we ate lunch. (Earlier in the day, Bruce had broken a hose at the water tank up on the hill, and Brad and I went to see about it. While we were there, we gave Brad the Psych Test [Your Journey]. Bruce is great at psychology and enjoys the test -- I gave it to him Saturday along with John and Mike F. -- I finished the test with Brad on the way to the errant stream.) At lunch I filled Bruce in on the rest of Brad's test, and we marveled at his imagination.
Photo of Bruce King working on wall
Bruce King hard at work
The rain stopped and work resumed -- Brad and I went back to finish with the stream, and I built an effective dam, with plastic, mud, moss, rocks, and sod, but the water continued to trickle along the road. We decided there must be an underground spring coming to the surface, so we gave up. The side walk was about half-finished by then. I was tired from walking -- Sunday I walked at least 15 miles -- Monday I must have gone five. Anyway, I lost another game of chess to Mike N.G. I wrestled with John and beat him but got scratched a bit. Mike Y. lost $10, so I loaned him a ten (continued) ...

TOMORROW: Independence Day stock car races

No comments: